Creation Station is the library's active learning space. It provides multipurpose Do-It-Together, Do-It-Yourself, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) space for all ages. This active learning space includes furnishings, materials, supplies, and equipment for members of the community to attend programs or to hang out on their own and use the equipment. Come check us out today!
Items for use in this space include (but are not limited to):
- Coloring supplies
- Craft supplies
- Crochet supplies
- Cricut Maker
- Snap and squishy circuits
- Makey Makey invention kit
- Robots - various
Who can use this space?
Anyone attending a library program in the space is welcome. Anyone who wants to use the space on their own must be a Certified Learner, which is anyone who has read the rules and taken a quiz to become certified to work independently in the Active Learning Smart Space. All Certified Learners must sign an Active Learning Smart Space Release, Waiver, and Hold Harmless Agreement. If the individual is under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must also sign the release.
Certified Learner Guidelines:
- Certified Learners must be at least 10 years of age.
- Must have a James Kennedy Public Library library card or will be issued a Certified Learner card.
- Certified Learners may not charge others to use or learn in the space.
- Due to the nature of the equipment and tools in the Active Learning Smart Space, children under the age of 10 wishing to use any of the items in the Active Learning Smart Space must be accompanied and directly supervised by a parent or guardian 18 years or older, who is a Certified Learner.
Certified Learners Quiz:
- Patrons must read the Certified Learners information, which can be downloaded here, and pass the quiz with 100% correct in order to become a Certified Learner.
- Quizzes can be obtained at the circulation desk at the library and will be administered by library staff.
- The quiz must be successfully completed before patrons can use items in the Creation Station.
Using the Creation Station:
- Items in the craft cart and coloring sheets are free for anyone to use.
- Some supplies and equipment, such as LEGOS and the Spirograph (to name a few), can be found on the shelves in the Creation Station.
- Robots, the Cricut Maker, the laminator and other equipment is stored behind the circulation desk. These items must be checked out to the Certified Learner prior to use and checked back in when finished. A list of all items can be obtained at the circulation desk.
- If a project uses up supplies, there may be a fee for the supplies. These fees will be included on the information sheets available at the circulation desk. Payment for these materials should be made at the circulation desk prior to leaving.
- When finished in the Active Learning Smart Space, Learners should clean their work area and return items to Library staff so they can be returned to their original locations. Staff will ensure that all items are present and in good working condition.
- The Certified Learner should report any issues encountered in the Active Learning Smart Space, especially any equipment that is damaged, inoperable, or not working properly.
- The Certified Learner may be held liable for costs related to the replacement of damaged or stolen equipment or tools as a result of use from the Learner and / or those in their care.
- Certified Learners should report anything unusual when leaving the space.