2020 SUMMER READING PROGRAMS
Welcome to the 2020 Summer Reading Program page! The JKPL is happy to offer summer reading programs for children, adults, and teens. The theme for all three programs is Imagine Your Story. This year all programs will be held virtually. See below for details on each program.
Children, infant through 5th grade (completed), are invited to participate in this revised 2020 program. As usual, there is an independent reading portion of the program and special events that relate to the program theme. However, all the special events will be virtual or done at home. The library has also purchased software to allow you to sign up and track your reading and participation without having to come to the library. Participants are encouraged to register for the summer program at dyersvillelibrary.readsquared.com. You may also download the app for this program. If you do not have web access you may register by phone on or after June 1 and use a paper log. You may also make an appointment to register in person at the library once the library is open to the public. Reading may be tracked via the READsquared webpage, app, or by paper. Events may be viewed on the library’s Facebook page or via links found on this page. The reading program will run June 1 through July 25 and is sponsored by the Friends of the James Kennedy Public Library. Download a copy of the program flyer here.
Kids age 3+
- Kids age 3+ will receive a book bag, bookmark, and a ball chain with a brag tag just for registering. These may be picked up via curbside service anytime or by appointment after the library opens to the public.
- Kids earn points by reading and viewing virtual library programs. They will track their reading using minutes which will earn the points needed to collect beads and brag tags. These points will be tracked on READsquared.
- Reading earns 1 point for every 1 minute read.
- Viewing a scheduled program earns 25 points per program.
- Viewing events may also earn a badge. There are 10 events that have been randomly selected to have a badge attached to them. READsquared will issue you a badge if you log your attendance at this event. (Badges are only available if using READsquared).
- Kids may watch Facebook events and report reading for points to earn beads and brag tags until August 15.
- For the grand prize drawing, activity sheets and reading time logs must be completed by 5 pm on July 25th. Grand Prize winners will be notified and posted on our Facebook page on July 27th.
- Every 60 points earns a bead.
- Every 240 points earns a brag tag.
- Photos of all available beads and brag tags can be downloaded for your reference.
- Ten badges earned on READsquared will earn one entry into the grand prize drawing.
- Earn 1200 points (which completes the program) and earn a book, an ice cream coupon, and one entry into the Grand Prize drawing.
- Grand Prize drawing includes a tablet, a book-of-the-month club for six months, or a 3-month subscription to Kiwi Crate.
- Kids may continue to read and view events to earn points for beads, brag tags, and entries into the grand prize drawing, but only one book and ice cream coupon will be given per child.
Please note: We request that kids pick up beads and brag tags at a minimum of 240 point increments (i.e. 240, 480, 720, etc.).
Kids age 3 and under
This program is designed for kids age 0 to 3 to promote pre-literacy skills and habits. Earn points by reading and completing missions. You may also earn points by viewing the library's online events.
- Parents of children under age 3 can track reading and activities on READsquared or download a page of fun brain-building activities to do with their child.
- Once all the activities are completed (which earns 1000 points), receive an entry into the grand prize drawing, a goody bag, and a free book.
- You may continue reading and doing missions for more prize entries, but will receive only one book and goody bag.
- When you reach 1000 points you'll receive a completion certificate you can print and share!
Events for all ages:
The Friends of the James Kennedy Public Library subscribed to 13 different programs that you can view wherever you have an internet connection. Viewing these programs earns points for the Children’s Summer Reading Program. Links for the programs are posted below. Some programs will not be posted until the day the event is scheduled. See the calendar of events for when the programs are scheduled.
Dyersville West Side Park Scavenger Hunt sheet (download and find the items on the sheet. June 15-30).
Dyersville Fairy Tale Scavenger Hunt sheet (download and find the items on sheet, July 1-15)
Blank Park Zoo Animal Chat (available to view through July 24)
Uncle Mike's Pint Size Polka
Absolute Science Fire + Ice https://youtu.be/njDfs5mQ_EU
Absolute Science Big Bang Bubbles https://youtu.be/WsClzEjlOYM
Absolute Science Laser https://youtu.be/od84b8xvnNE
Steve N TV Body Show https://youtu.be/KMCGyU7Nsn0
Absolute Science Mega Levitator https://youtu.be/Pv00r0zb9Ig
Rick Eugene Magic https://youtu.be/fRFIANMYJfo
Steve N TV Robot Dance Party https://youtu.be/p5aLlNmuUzg
Absolute Science Bigger Bang Bubbles https://youtu.be/VjV3s76s0jo
Kayleigh Rogers Magic https://youtu.be/Li_CoRRxX6w
Steve N TV Optical Illusions https://youtu.be/Q-WXOBpu-aQ
Rick's Short Show #1 https://youtu.be/Sa-f-xZiNOw
Absolute Science Foam Show https://youtu.be/G3YM3WqgRjM
Rick's Short Show #2 https://youtu.be/F71XpYzqDTo
Everyone who has completed 6th-12th grade is encouraged to participate in the revised 2020 program that runs June 1-July 31. As usual, there is an independent reading portion of the program and special events that relate to the program theme. However, all the special events will be virtual. The library has also purchased software to allow you to sign up and track your reading without having to come to the library. Participants are encouraged to register for the summer program at dyersvillelibrary.readsquared.com. You may also download the app for this program. Prefer to not use READsquared? Then download this paper log to track your progress. All events may be viewed on the library’s Facebook page. Registration begins June 1. Download a copy of the program flyer here.
- Teens can read whatever books or graphic novels they choose.
- For every 5 hours of reading, participants achieve a prize tier.
- All hours must be reported by 5:00 pm on July 31 to count towards prizes.
Tier 1: Free book and an invite to the program finale (Date TBD, but will be scheduled after we can have programs in the library again)
Tier 2: Keychains (2D keychains of fantasy characters)
Tier 3: Food gift certificate
Tier 4: Adopt-a-Book form
Tier 5: Dyersville Dollars
Everyone 18 and older is encouraged to participate in the revised 2020 program that runs June 1-August 31. Registration begins on June 1 and adults are welcome to join throughout the summer. The library has also purchased software to allow you to sign up and track your reading without having to come to the library. Participants are encouraged to register for the summer program at dyersvillelibrary.readsquared.com. You may also download the app for this program. Prefer to not use READsquared? Then download a paper log to track your progress. Due to COVID-19, in person programs will not be offered; however, the library is planning virtual programs, Take-and-Make activities and more. The adult summer library program is sponsored by the Friends of the James Kennedy Public Library. Download the program flyer here.
- Participants will receive a bookbag, bookmark, and coupon for a free book just for registering.
- Using the app or paper log, participants will keep track of items read and earn prizes.
How It Works:
1. Earn a book bag, bookmark, and coupon for a free book just for signing up! Items will be available for pickup via curbside service or appointment.
2. Earn points by doing any of the activities listed below. Completed activities may be tracked by using the READsquared webpage, app, or the paper log.
- Reading or listening to books
- Submitting book reviews
- Viewing or participating in virtual programs
- Completing activities such as Take and Make or other Activity packets
- Using library services such as Mango (learning a language) and Ancestry (genealogy)
For each activity completed, the participant’s name will be entered into a drawing for prizes. Many prizes this summer will be gift certificates to local businesses and Dyersville Dollars to support our local economy.
Earn prizes for submitting 4, 8, and 12 activities:
- 4 activities earns a JKPL or Summer Library Program themed mirror, button, or a book. (download list of options for mirror or button here)
- 8 activities earns a JKPL or Summer Library Program themed key chain, luggage tag, or a book.
- 12 activities, which must include reading at least 4 books, earns a special gift and an entry into a drawing for a Book Lovers Basket.