Rule of thumb to prevent identity theft:
Do not give out your name or any personal information (such as social security number, birth date, address, telephone number) without first knowing exactly who is receiving this information. If in doubt don't give information out.
Resources about identity theft:
- AARP, the American Association of Retired Persons offers tips through their magazine and their website.
- IDtheft.gov is the federal government’s website resource.
- The non-profit organization, Identity Theft Resource Center, has information on their website as well as a toll free number, 1 (888) 400-5530.
- The US Department of Justice.
- Visit this website to learn more about the Older Americans Act.