James Kennedy Public Library
Board of Trustees
Minutes of the September 10, 2008, Meeting
The regular monthly meeting of the Board of Trustees of the James Kennedy Public Library was held on Wednesday, September 10, 2008, in the Hoffman Community Room. Present: Angela English, Dan Boice, Sally Brant, Dorothy Digmann, Barb Heitzman, Brenda Ingles, Karen Knepper, Becky Schwendinger, and Library Director Shirley Vonderhaar. Joyce Bries was absent.
1. The meeting was called to order at 6:47pm by Board President Angela English.
2. Agenda: Dorothy MOVED “Approval of the Agenda as posted,” which motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: Boice, Brant, Digmann, English, Heitzman, Ingles, Knepper, Schwendinger; Nays: None; Absent: Bries, Ingles.
3. Agenda Consent Calendar:
• Minutes of the August 13th Special Meeting
• Minutes of the August 13th Regular Meeting
• Correspondence & Communications: None.
• August Librarian’s Report:
August Claims Report
General Library Claims for September
August/September Credit Card Claims
• Budget Reports:
August City Report
August Library Report
• Trust Account Reports:
August Bank Statement
August Balance Report
Trust Account Expenditure Report
• August Gift to Library Trust Account
From: New Vienna Savings Bank
Restrictions: Donation for Summer Reading Program
From: Vintage Threads
Restrictions: Donation for Hoffman Community Room use.
From: Sara Campbell
In memory of: PJ & Jake Fangmann
Restrictions: Specific audio books selected by donor
From: Brenda Ingles
Restrictions: Adopt-a-book program
From: Betty Anne Scherrman
Restrictions: Adopt-a-book program
From: American Family Insurance
Restrictions: Donation for use of portable projector
Angela expressed the Board’s thanks to these donors for their generosity.
• Program Reports
August Report on Programs & Attendance
Donations Report from Children’s Summer Reading Program
Adult Summer Reading Program Report: Shirley noted that the program was so successful that she had been unable to keep up with the flood of book reviews. After she finishes catching up, she will try to work out a simpler system that will generate as much enthusiasm again next summer.
September Calendar of Events
Schedule for Upcoming Programs:
• Grants: Shirley reported that the Library had received a grant from Humanities Iowa to fund eight sessions of the Cold War America book/film series. Allison had accordingly modified the schedule to include four books and four films. Because of this modification, H.I. will pay the scholar directly instead of through the JKPL.
• Friends of the Library: Planning has gone well for the Taste of the Midwest. In response to vendor concerns, the Friends had agreed to raise the price to $7.00 in advance and $8.00 at the door. The Board will again provide coffee and lemonade.
Barb MOVED “Approval of the Agenda Consent items, which motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: Boice, Brant, Digmann, English, Heitzman, Knepper, and Schwendinger; Nays: None; Absent: Bries, Ingles.
4. Committee Appointments: Angela distributed a list of the assignments, and noted that she will be approaching members of the community to help with various committees.
5. Funding of Cold War Series: For past events, we have used the programs and ideas generated by other libraries. Since we are developing this series, Shirley expects that other libraries will want to use our plans. To help with that, Shirley intends to purchase ten copies of each book and a duplicate copy of each film. She has already begun purchasing used copies of the titles, including the CNN video series on the Cold War. Shirley requested that, since this is an extraordinary expense, that Trust Account funds be used to purchase the materials. Dan MOVED “That the Board approve use of the Trust Account to fund the Cold War America series.” The motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: Boice, Brant, Digmann, English, Heitzman, Ingles. Knepper, and Schwendinger; Nays: None; Absent: Bries.
6. Finance Committee: No report.
7. Personnel Committee: No report.
9. Furnishings Committee: Becky reported that Beth Bird will be having a show in Galena, and the Arts Committee hopes to attend, and perhaps to purchase a print. Betty Anne Scherrman continues to coordinate this.
10. Policy Committee: No report.
12. Strategic Planning: No report.
13. Marketing Committee: Angela updated the Board on the basket being readied for the ILA conference auction.
14. Meetings and Training:
Upcoming: The Public Libraries of Dubuque County Agency will next meet on Wednesday, September 17, at 4:00pm.
Shirley will be attending the conference of the Association for Small and Rural Libraries, September 18-22, in Sacramento.
The State Library will be hosting Town Meetings from September 18 to 25. The closest will be in Waterloo on the 24th, and Shirley will attend, perhaps with Amy.
Iowa Library Association Conference: October 15-17 in Dubuque. To allow the staff to attend, Shirley expects that the Library will be closed all day on Thursday, the 16th, and until 1:00pm on Friday.
Amy had not been able to register for Public Library Management II, so she will try for the Spring session.
Recently Attended: No report.
11. Oral Presentations: None.
Barb MOVED “To pay Don Johnson, ‘The Fossils Guy,’ $100.00 for his program on fossils.” The motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: Boice, Brant, Digmann, English, Heitzman, Ingles. Knepper, and Schwendinger; Nays: None; Absent: Bries.
12. The next regular meeting, to accommodate a variety of scheduling conflicts, was scheduled for Tuesday, October 14, at 6:45pm.
13. Barb’s motion to adjourn was seconded and CARRIED at 7:32pm. Ayes: Boice, Brant, Digmann, English, Heitzman, Ingles. Knepper, and Schwendinger; Nays: None; Absent: Bries.
Daniel Boice, Secretary