March 12, 2008
James Kennedy Library
Board of Trustees
Minutes of the March 12, 2008, Meeting
The regular monthly meeting of the Board of Trustees of the James Kennedy Public Library was held on Wednesday, March 12, 2008, in the Hoffman Community Room. Present: Angela English, Sally Brant, Dorothy Digmann, Brenda Ingles, Karen Knepper, Betty Anne Scherrman, Becky Schwendinger, and Library Director Shirley Vonderhaar. Dan Boice and Barb Heitzman were absent.
1. The meeting was called to order at 6:45pm by Board President Angela English.
2. Agenda: Sally MOVED “Approval of the Agenda as amended to permit discussion of the request from the Girl Scouts as the first item,” which motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: English, Brant, Digmann, Knepper, Scherrman, and Schwendinger; Nays: None; Not present: Boice, Heitzman.
3. Request from Girl Scouts: Shelly Brimeyer had requested use of the Library for a lock-in for her Girl Scouts. Mr Michel had noted that the Girl Scouts would need to list the Library on their certificate of liability, and he recommended that the Library provide staff during all the hours that the Library would be in use for any purpose, including meetings after hours. He said that liability would not be a concern if staff were present. After discussion, Becky MOVED “That the Girl Scouts be permitted to use the Library from 5:00pm until a time determined by Shirley, who would be present for the event.” The motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: English, Brant, Digmann, Knepper, Scherrman, and Schwendinger; Nays: None; Not present: Boice, Heitzman.
4. Agenda Consent Calendar:
• Minutes of the February 13th Regular Meeting
• Correspondence & Communications: None.
• Librarian’s Report for February
February Claims Report
General Library Claims for March
February Credit Card Claims
• Budget Reports:
February City Report
February Library Report
• Trust Account Reports:
February Bank Statement
February Balance Report
Trust Account Expenditure Report
• February Gifts to the Library Trust Account:
Donor: Joyce Bries
In Honor of: N/A
Restrictions: Adopt-a-book for specific title
Donor: Brenda Ingles
In Honor of: N/A
Restrictions: Adopt-a-book for specific titles.
Angela expressed thanks, on behalf of the Board, to the donors for their generous gifts.
• Contract Use Reports
Statistics by Residence Area:
Statistics by Contract / Service Area:
• Program Reports
February Report on Programs & Attendance: The miserable winter weather had affected attendance at some programs. The Leap Day program had a good, enthusiastic crowd.
March Calendar of Events: There was discussion about showing the film The Golden Compass, scheduled for June. The Board may revisit the topic.
Schedule for Upcoming Programs:
• Grants: The Friends had submitted a DRA grant application to purchase two Early Literacy Stations, as discussed at the February meeting. The request was for a $5,000 grant, with the Friends to supply the additional $1,800 needed to complete the purchase.
• Friends of the Library: The Friends had completed their membership drive, and there were currently 176 members, and $2,375 in funds. Less expenses, the estimated income from the drive was $1,540. The Friends will elect their officers at their next meeting in April.
Sally MOVED “Approval of the Agenda Consent items, which motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: English, Brant, Digmann, Knepper, and Schwendinger; Nays: Scherrman; Not present: Boice, Heitzman.
5. Finance Committee: The Board discussed the resolution from the City’s Finance Committee to “establish the remaining balance in the Library Capital Campaign Account and establishing procedures for the use of said funds.” Members of the Board expressed concern about the wording of the resolution’s final sentence. The Library Finance Committee will meet with the City Finance Committee and will report back at the April meeting.
6. Personnel Committee: No report.
7. Furnishings Committee: Report attached to official minutes. The Board discussed future library capital expenses. Becky, on behalf of the Committee, MOVED “That the Library Board request the City Council to reappropriate $15,013.65 for Library capital expenditures.” The motion CARRIED. Ayes: English, Brant, Digmann, Knepper, Scherrman, and Schwendinger; Nays: None; Not present: Boice, Heitzman..
8. Policy Committee: No report.
9. Strategic Planning: Discussion of the proposed revision of the plan was postponed until the April meeting.
10. Marketing Committee: No report.
11. Meetings and Training:
Upcoming: The annual Dubuque County Public Libraries Agency meeting will be in Dyersville. Shirley, Kim, and Kathy will be attending the Midwest Interlibrary Loan Conference at Loras College on April 11th, weather permitting. Amy has been accepted into the State Library’s Public Library Management I program for this spring.
Recently Attended: Kim had attended the 2008 Children’s Summer Reading Program planning workshop, as well as the 2008 Teen Summer Library Program workshop. She also attended “The Fun and Facts of Early Literacy with Saraj Ghoting,” a workshop on early literacy and story times.
12. Oral Presentations: None.
13. The next regular meeting was scheduled for Wednesday, April 9th, at 6:45pm.
14. Brenda’s motion to adjourn was seconded and CARRIED at 8:25pm. Ayes: English, Brant, Digmann, Knepper, Scherrman, and Schwendinger; Nays: None; Not present: Boice, Heitzman.
Karen Knepper, Secretary pro tem