James Kennedy Public Library
Board of Trustees
Minutes of the September 16, 2009, Meeting
The regular monthly meeting of the Board of Trustees of the James Kennedy Public Library was held on Wednesday, September 16, 2009, in the Hoffman Community Room. Present: Dan Boice, Sally Brant, Joyce Bries, Barb Heitzman, Becky Schwendinger, Dorothy Digmann, Karen Knepper and Library Director Shirley Vonderhaar. Angela English and Brenda Ingles were absent.
1. The meeting was called to order at 6:45 pm by Board President Dan Boice.
2. Agenda: Barb MOVED “Approval of the Agenda as posted,” which motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: Boice, Brant, Bries, Heitzman, Schwendinger, Digmann, Knepper. Nays: None. Not present: English, Ingles.
3. Agenda Consent Calendar:
• Minutes of the August 12, 2009 Regular Meeting
• Correspondence & Communications: The library will be a featured honoree at the first “Meet, Greet, & Recognize” hosted by the Dyersville Area Chamber on September 30 from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
• August Librarian’s Report: No significant change.
August Claims Report
General Library Claims for August
August/September Credit Card Claims
• Budget Reports:
August City Report
August Library Report
• Trust Account Reports:
August Bank Statement
August Balance Report
Trust Account Expenditure Report
August Donations to the Library Trust Account
From: Joyce Bries
From: Campbell Family
From: Tricia Maiers Family
The board expressed their thanks for all the donations.
• Program Reports
August Report on Programs & Attendance
September Calendar of events
Schedule for upcoming programs
• Grants: Received grant from Humanities Iowa to fund a reading discussion series starting October 1 on Thursday evenings.
• Friends of the Library: Number of vendors is down for the “Taste of the Midwest”, but ticket sales are good.
Joyce MOVED “Approval of the Agenda Consent items,” excluding Invoice 01-000358 which motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: Boice, Brant, Bries, Heitzman, Schwendinger, Digmann, Knepper. Nays: None. Not present: English, Ingles.
Dorothy MOVED “Approval of Invoice 01-000358” which motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: Boice, Bries, Heitzman, Schwendinger, Digmann, Knepper. Nays: none. Abstained: Brant. Not present: English, Ingles.
4. Finance Committee: Dan requested committee to work with director to reduce paper work. Dan also suggested that the Arts and Furnishings Committee be renamed the Facilities Committee which was referred to the Policy Committee.
5. Library Trust Expenditures: Barb MOVED “That purchase of books for the “Confessions of a Bibliophile” reading discussion series be expended from the Library Trust Account, amount not to exceed $1,000,” which motion was seconded and CARRIED. Ayes: Boice, Brant, Bries, Heitzman, Schwendinger, Digmann, Knepper. Nays: None. Not present: English, Ingles.
6. Personnel Committee: No report.
7. Furnishings Committee: Gary Lynch from Lynch Roofing reported that the gutter in the entry area is running the wrong way, which is a contributing factor to the leaks. Shirley was advised to get Mike Tucker, the architect of the building, involved.
8. Policy Committee: No report.
9. Strategic Planning: Special Board work session scheduled for September 22, at 5:15 p.m.
10. Marketing Committee: No report.
11. Meetings and Training:
Upcoming: Kim, Lisa, and Kathy will attend town meeting in Coralville. Shirley and Kim will attend ILA conference. Angela and Shirley will attend Dubuque County Agency meeting.
Recently Attended: No report.
12. Oral Presentations: None
13. Barb’s motion to adjourn was seconded and CARRIED at 7:40p.m.
Kathy Burkle, Acting Secretary