Library Board Trustee job description
JAMES KENNEDY PUBLIC LIBRARY - TRUSTEE
1. Title: Trustee
2. Reports to: James Kennedy Public Library Board of Trustees and the City Council, City of Dyersville
3. Purpose and scope of the job:
Responsible for working with the full Board of Trustees to oversee the general operation of the library, establish policy, determine the final budget, conduct public relations, and plan. Must have a true sense of the library’s enormous importance to the economic and social life of the community, an appreciation of the library, a desire to provide the best possible services for the community, and a sensitivity to the political conditions in the community. Appointed by the Mayor of the City of Dyersville. Accountable to the taxpayers and the people served by the library.
4. Specific Duties:
- Attend regular board meetings, trainings, conferences, etc., in an effort to understand the functions of librarianship as well as issues and challenges facing libraries in general and the James Kennedy Public Library in particular.
- Read materials in advance, ask questions, participate appropriately at meetings, and make informed recommendations and decisions. Regular board meetings are typically held the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 pm. Meetings may be rescheduled and special meetings may be called at the discretion of the Library Board President and / or Executive Committee. Become familiar with the legal and regulatory environment which governs the library and Library Board operations, including but not limited to the State and Local Code, Constitution and Bylaws, Iowa Open Meetings Law, and Confidentiality requirements.
- Gain familiarity with the budgeting process. Review monthly and annual reports. Become familiar with the physical plant needs and resources and ensure that plans for facility maintenance and capital improvements are in place.
- Ensure and participate in long range planning for the Library, and that needs of all segments of the community are assessed and considered. Ensure that allpolicies developed and approved by the Board are consistent with the approved plan. Monitor and evaluate the overall effectiveness of the library
- Act as an advocate for legislation and funding that will help to meet the identified needs of the community and library.
- Lend expertise and leadership to the board for the good of the library
- Visit the library often and become acquainted with its services by using them
- Advocate for the library in the community
- Advocate for the community as a member of the library board
5. Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
- Ability to work with people
- Skill to lead and preside at board meetings when appropriate
- Ability to plan
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Resident members must be bona fide citizens and residents of the City of Dyersville
- Non-resident members must be bona fide citizens and residents from areas thatcontract with the library for library service
7. Term of office:
- Appointments are for four years, except to fill vacancies
- Each term shall commence on July first
- Vacancies shall be filled only for the remainder of the unexpired term
8. Time commitment:
- Monthly Board meetings and periodic committee meetings, attendance at workshops, conferences and other learning opportunities, reading of materials and preparation time. Time estimate of 5 hours per month.
Adopted June 2004, revised October 2010, May 2012, August 2016