The FRIENDS of the James Kennedy Public Library invite you to be a FRIEND!
What is FRIENDS?
FRIENDS is an organization of interested citizens who desire to promote the services of the James Kennedy Public Library and who work together to strengthen its various programs. As FRIENDS of the James Kennedy Public Library, we conduct book sales, help with library programs, interpret needs of the library to the community, and provide volunteer service. When you become a FRIEND of the James Kennedy Public Library, you'll have the year-round satisfaction of knowing that your willingness to be a FRIEND enhances library services for the entire community.
History of FRIENDS:
The James Kennedy Public Library FRIENDS organization was initiated in May, 1988. At that time, a steering committee consisting of the Library Board of Trustees requested public support to help with the formulation of a FRIENDS group. The resulting organization of families, individuals, and businesses has grown over the years. FRIENDS of the Kennedy Library have provided equipment and services which benefit the entire community.
Examples of Activities:
- Annually sponsor Children's Book Week programs
- Annually sponsor Summer Reading Program events
- Sponsor or co-sponsor various special programs such as author visits and speakers.
- Sponsor movie and film presentations, including providing refreshments
- Provide refreshments for library programs
- Sponsor adult education classes such as basic computer and craft classes
- Funded purchase of Wii console and Wii games for gaming events
- Provide start-up funding for the Play-away audiobook collection
Examples of Fund-Raising Activities:
- Annual membership drive
- Used book sale
- Bus trips
- Sale of book bags
Yearly Membership Costs:
$1 - Student (K-12)
$5 - Adult
$10 - Family
$20 - Organization
$50+ - Golden
Donation items the FRIENDS will accept for the book sales:
- All books
- All DVDs
- VHS movies (Disney, Children's, or Classic movies only)
- All CDs (audio, game, or music)
- All magazines that are no more than 2 years old
- All donated items must be in good, usable condition
Recent programs and items funded by the FRIENDS:
- 2015 Children's Summer Reading Program
- Rudy Daniels, Trains Across Iowa
- Cookies and treats for most library programs
To contact the FRIENDS please send an email to: email@example.com