The FRIENDS of the James Kennedy Public Library invite you to be a FRIEND!
Join us Wednesday, September 6 for our annual bus trip to Circa 21 Dinner Playhouse on Rock Island to see "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." Cost is $87 per person and includes transportation, gratuities, gourmet lunch and the show. The bus will stop at Rhythm City Casino (smoke-free) in Davenport for 2 hours after the show. Reservations, with payment, must be made by August 4. Reservations can be made by calling Sharon Osterhaus at (563)875-8530.
Used Book Sale
The Friends of the Library are holding a special two-day used book sale in the basement of the James Kennedy Public Library on June 2 and 3. Hours are Friday, June 2 from 9:00 am-5:00 pm and Saturday, June 3 from 9:00 am-3:00 pm. Mark your calendars because there will be another used book sale in July!
What is FRIENDS?
FRIENDS is an organization of interested citizens who desire to promote the services of the James Kennedy Public Library and who work together to strengthen its various programs. As FRIENDS of the James Kennedy Public Library, we conduct book sales, help with library programs, interpret needs of the library to the community, and provide volunteer service. When you become a FRIEND of the James Kennedy Public Library, you'll have the year-round satisfaction of knowing that your willingness to be a FRIEND enhances library services for the entire community. Download a membership form now!
History of FRIENDS:
The James Kennedy Public Library FRIENDS organization was initiated in May, 1988. At that time, a steering committee consisting of the Library Board of Trustees requested public support to help with the formulation of a FRIENDS group. The resulting organization of families, individuals, and businesses has grown over the years. FRIENDS of the Kennedy Library have provided equipment and services which benefit the entire community.
Examples of Activities:
- Annually sponsor Children's Book Week programs
- Annually sponsor Summer Reading Program events
- Sponsor or co-sponsor various special programs such as author visits and speakers.
- Sponsor movie and film presentations, including providing refreshments
- Provide refreshments for library programs
- Sponsor adult education classes such as basic computer and craft classes
- Funded purchase of Wii console and Wii games for gaming events
- Provide start-up funding for the Play-away audiobook collection
Examples of Fund-Raising Activities:
- Annual membership drive
- Used book sale
- Bus trips
- Sale of book bags
Yearly Membership Costs:
$1 - Student (K-12)
$5 - Adult
$10 - Family
$20 - Organization
$50+ - Golden
Donation items the FRIENDS will accept for the book sales:
- All books
- All DVDs
- VHS movies (Disney, Children's, or Classic movies only)
- All CDs (audio, game, or music)
- All magazines that are no more than 2 years old
- All donated items must be in good, usable condition
Recent programs and items funded by the FRIENDS:
- 2016 Children's Summer Reading Program
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program
- The Hansen Family juggling act
- Cookies and treats for most library programs
To contact the FRIENDS please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org